Selling IT Solutions: 3 Methods for Strategic Growth
February 11, 2021
In today’s technology-driven world, a lot of products and businesses have moved away from purely physical offerings. With the digital transformation continuing to skyrocket, there are always new software solutions popping up every day. With COVID-19 propelling the growth of the Information Technology (IT) sector even further, the competition is even tougher.
But here’s the good thing—when you’re selling IT solutions, you already know that your target market is online and familiar with the workings of digital tools.
Basically, you have the IT world at your feet, and you have all these tested and proven ways to reach your target market and rake in those sales. Remember that having the right sales strategy is important to the success of your business. While there are a ton of tools and strategies out there for you to explore, here are three proven ways to sell IT solutions online.
1. Leverage Email Marketing Automation When Selling IT Solutions
Who says email marketing is dead? It’s far from dead—in fact, it’s thriving! The best thing about emails is that they land in an actual inbox of a prospect, instead of just appearing on the newsfeed. Because of that, it comes across as more personalized and more targeted. You’re essentially communicating directly with your prospects.
Here’s what’s really awesome about email marketing though: it can be automated but still come across as a personal approach. By using email marketing automation, you can actually map out a whole customer journey starting from the point where a potential lead becomes a subscriber up to the point where they will eventually buy. You can set up a really well-written email nurture sequence that tackles the pain points of your potential client and frames your product as the solution. Understanding your client and addressing their specific needs will also take a bit of insight selling on your part.
The possibilities are endless with email marketing automation. You can automate more than the nurture sequence. You can even automate activity-based emails that get triggered to send out when your prospects do certain actions.
So how can you leverage email marketing automation as a tool to sell your IT solutions?
- Implement lead capture opportunities. This can be eBooks, reports, or anything related to your IT solution that potential clients may find attractive. Make sure these types of content are gated, meaning they would have to provide their email address.
- Once you have their email address, make sure you already have an irresistible email nurture workflow. This usually consists of at least three emails that introduce your company, emphasize the credibility of your product, and invite your prospects to consider your IT solution.
- Never stop optimizing your email efforts. You can do a series of AB tests to determine specific elements that make your emails work until you eventually come up with your email success formula. These tests can include a graphic email vs. a text-based one, or the time and day you sent out an email. With email marketing, you can get a lot of data on your target clients which will help you zero in on what works best so you can do more of them.
2. Drill Down on Quality Leads Through Performance Marketing Strategies
Since you’re selling IT solutions for people, you have to make it easier for your clients to discover your business online. While content marketing, search engine optimization, and social media marketing can all contribute to getting your solution to the front seat, performance marketing will help speed up the results of these efforts.
Implement a variety of Google search ads, display ads, and even LinkedIn ads. Of course, you’re not going to do this using a shotgun approach. Understand your target persona, where they can be found, and what they are doing on those platforms.
While paid ads can definitely boost brand awareness, they can also contribute greatly to the consideration and conversion stages. Pay close attention to relevant keywords in each stage and the way you position your content.
Here are some quick tips that may help you get a leg up when it comes to performance marketing:
- If you’re targeting companies to sell your IT solutions to, you can target ads on LinkedIn according to the position a prospect holds in a company. So you can target top management, especially CEOs or CTOs.
- Conversation ads are rising in popularity because they come across as a very personal approach that can be tailored to each prospect. Aside from getting these types of ads in front of the right prospects, another challenge is ensuring that the copywriting is on point and has the ability to pull in those leads.
- Remarketing should always be included in your performance strategy. It’s a great strategy to maximize the return of your ad spend. It’s not just about getting in front of interested audiences. The whole point of remarketing is to continue funneling in those leads until they become customers. It’s very rare for new leads to convert right away—the B2B industry specifically has a longer conversion journey compared to B2C. With remarketing, you’re gunning for consideration and actual decisions.
3. Ensure Your Presence at Every Customer Touchpoint Through Omnichannel Marketing
True enough, one of the best ways to sell IT solutions online is to be at every platform or area of the internet that your target audience is. Omnichannel marketing is essentially all about providing a smooth and seamless customer journey by making sure that your business or solution is at every touchpoint.
Omnichannel marketing is not just about going wide and promoting on different channels and platforms. It’s about serving up a customer journey that converts. For example, email marketing can complement your paid ads efforts so potential leads and clients can be nurtured and filtered. Social media and paid ads also work together to increase awareness of the brand as well as engagement.
When it comes to omnichannel marketing, there’s really not one strategy that applies to the rest. Ultimately, it still depends on knowing your customer persona and then making sure that you are there all throughout to guide them into purchasing your IT solution.
Your content and messaging will also matter. You provide facts that are interesting and relevant to your audience, and then share with them your own valuable ideas to guide them in their decisions. Insight selling is your ally in this journey.
When it comes down to it, selling IT solutions online all revolves around the same concept: knowing your target customer persona and how to reach them. Of course, there are also a lot of tools that can help in generating sales for your IT solution—but these three ways have stood the test of time for a reason. They work.