In B2B marketing, accurate data is essential for success. However, data quality can decline over time due to a range of factors, which can undermine your marketing strategies and goals.
In today’s digital age, data is at the heart of marketing strategies, helping businesses target their audience effectively, personalize content, and measure campaign performance. However, when data quality deteriorates, it can lead to a range of issues that affect the overall effectiveness of marketing efforts.
This article explores the risks of data degradation on a company’s marketing efforts, examines the pivotal role of data integrity in achieving campaign success, and presents actionable solutions to fortify your data-driven strategies.
Understanding B2B Data Deprecation
Before we explore the key risks involved, let us understand what we mean by B2B data deprecation, often known as data decay. According to Neil Patel, data deprecation refers to how certain data types lose value and become less effective over time.
Like a car that depreciates when driven off the lot, B2B data begins to lose its value as soon as it is collected. The dynamic nature of the business world, characterized by job transitions, corporate restructurings, and evolving industry trends, all contribute to data deprecation. When data does not reflect these changes, it becomes bad data.
B2B data deprecation exists in multiple dimensions:
- Broad Database Deterioration: A robust B2B database includes not only email addresses but detailed information on accounts and contacts, industry-specific insights, purchasing behaviors, and decision-making influencers. Data risks becoming outdated as people change jobs, companies evolve, and industries shift. The detailed nature of B2B data means that any decay can significantly disrupt the integrity of the database.
- Ongoing Data Asset Loss: The deterioration of a B2B database is not an isolated event but a continuous struggle. On average, databases can experience an accuracy decline of between 2% to 5% monthly, leading to significant data decay with the passage of time. Marketing Sherpa’s research showed that B2B data decays at a rate of 2.1% per month, which translates to an annualized rate of 22.5%.
- The Ripple Effect of Data Neglect: The potential fallout from bad data is any marketer’s nemesis. After six months, a considerable portion of a database may become stale, inaccurate, and unusable, disrupting marketing efforts and distorting market analysis and strategic decisions that depend on accurate, timely data and insights.
The Impact of Data Inaccuracy
Data accuracy is one of the biggest challenges in B2B sales and marketing. According to primary research by DemandScience in its B2B Sales Prospecting Report 2023, 87% of respondents indicated that data accuracy is a top challenge. When data is not maintained, the consequences can spell disaster for your campaigns:
- Targeting Challenges: Data decay leads to poor campaign execution that fails to reach the targeted decision-makers at organizations you want to do business with, resulting in lower conversion rates, wasted resources, missed opportunities and lower ROIs.
- Weakened Campaign Performance: As data quality erodes, so does the effectiveness of campaigns, manifesting in lower engagement rates, underwhelming lead generation, and hindering the team’s ability to reach their marketing goals.
- Compromised ROI: The return on investment for marketing campaigns is directly tied to the quality of the data utilized in a campaign. When marketing strategies are executed using inaccurate data, the financial implications are immediate—money is wasted on futile attempts to engage with outdated leads, and the cost-per-acquisition climbs as the conversion rates tumble. Gartner even estimates that poor-quality data costs companies about $12.9M annually.
Harnessing Technology and Collaboration Enhances Data Integrity
To tackle data degradation, regularly maintain your company database with these solutions:
- Leveraging Technology for Proactive Data Maintenance: With the dynamic nature of B2B information, technology plays a pivotal role in data maintenance. Utilizing platforms equipped with real-time updating capabilities, such as Verification Intelligence by DemandScience, can help mitigate the risks of data decay. Technologies incorporating AI and machine learning algorithms can help maintain the health of your database by ensuring accurate, compliant, and healthy data. Furthermore, these technologies can streamline data cleansing, deduplication, and integration, ensuring that your marketing team operates with the most current and comprehensive data at their disposal – solving for data pain points and augmenting ROI.
- Robust Email Verification: High bounce rates from decayed data can damage the sender’s reputation, which ISPs monitor closely, affecting email deliverability and engagement. Thus, validating email addresses is core to campaign effectiveness and efficiency. Effective verification confirms the existence of an email address, assesses its relevance, and improves the likelihood of user engagement, each of which is essential for precise targeting and impactful marketing campaigns.
- Data Partnerships for Continuous Enrichment: Establishing partnerships with data providers and industry peers can lead to a transparent and healthy exchange of information, ensuring a constant flow of up-to-date data. By tapping into diverse sources and leveraging collaborative filters, businesses can enhance the granularity and scope of their databases. These partnerships can also provide access to industry trends and shifts in B2B landscapes that are invaluable for keeping your data relevant and actionable.
- Integration and Reporting: Integration and reporting capabilities are equally important; consolidating data streams into a cohesive narrative makes it easier to spot trends, understand data lifecycles, and make informed decisions based on real-time insights. When data from various sources works in unison, the health of the entire database is improved, and campaign effectiveness will increase ROI.
Navigating Data Deprecation with Confidence
Data deprecation is constant. Marketers can approach campaigns with renewed confidence and effectiveness by recognizing the importance of data integrity, embracing ongoing maintenance, and considering the value of solutions like Verification Intelligence by DemandScience. While many tools and services are available, the key is to find a partner who understands the intricacies of B2B data and can offer the precision and reliability your campaigns require to help you generate the best ROI across your business.
To learn more about Verification Intelligence by DemandScience, please contact our DemandScience solutions experts.
Get the latest content from DemandScience in your inbox.
In B2B marketing, accurate data is essential for success. However, data quality can decline over time due to…Read More
Account-Based Marketing (ABM) is a strategic method where marketers communicate with a defined set of accounts as markets…Read More
Traditional sales and marketing strategies have long focused on lead quantity by casting a wide net to capture…Read More