Content Syndication and Blogging to Boost Business
April 29, 2020
There is no valid argument against the value of content marketing in terms of its role in building brand awareness and rapport between businesses and their customers. However, there is a lot to consider when choosing the right digital marketing strategy – resources, time, and the content itself.
Any business manager knows that content marketing strategies can be a challenge; after thoroughly developing relevant, high-quality content, you find your posts are falling flat. Two of the common problems companies encounter are the following:
- Lacking the reach for content to generate expected goals
- Not having enough content to populate their website
Posting on the web can be challenging because you cannot guarantee you will be seen or heard amidst content clutter. SEO is an effective long-term strategy for generating traffic, but it can be further enhanced if used in tandem with content syndication or guest blogging.
Content syndication involves the republishing of blog posts, infographics, videos, articles, etc. – by a third-party website to reach a broader audience.
Content syndication is nothing new; large websites, magazines, and other widely distributed media use syndicated content provided by smaller publications or entities because of its quid pro quo nature. Content syndication is appealing because of its affordability. By spending little to nothing, smaller players can tap a wider audience and bank on the reputation of larger companies. At the same time, giants get diverse content without having to spend any resources.
Content syndication mustn’t be confused with guest blogging. Guest blogs are unique pieces of content that have been specifically written and published for one publication. Guest blogging for another company, incredibly well-received websites, is helpful because it enables you to boost your ranking and establishes your credibility as an authority in the field.
Perks of Syndication and Guest Blogging
Content syndication and guest blogging of well-developed content are two approaches that can significantly boost your presence. Maximizing web content is an intelligent approach to increasing online exposure and brand reputation. Per recent statistics, 63% of readers perceive blogs with multiple authors to be more credible, while 65 percent of B2B marketers use content syndication as a core lead generation tactic.
Here is a quick rundown of the benefits of content syndication and guest blogging for another company in your business vertical:
- Increased Visibility: By working with well-known websites, you can make your business more visible to search engines. By being associated with these sites, you open yourself up to great high-quality backlinks, which improve your search engine ranking. Moreover, as a guest entry on another website, you can establish yourself as a trusted expert in your field. Audiences will then be directed to your websites, including audiences you usually would not have been visible to.
- Better Prestige and Status: Engagement with a first-rate publication boosts your business reputation. Online publishers who have their standing to worry about are very selective of their partners. Thus, a highly respected publisher will go a long way towards building on your legitimacy and trustworthiness.
- Editorial Assistance: Prior to posting, top publishers will comb through your content and provide an additional layer of copy-editing to ensure the quality of your content is industry-specific.
- Network Expansion:Networking is more important than ever. By working with industry-heavy hitters, you will be recognized by others which can pave the way to more collaborations and partnerships in the future. When done correctly, syndicating and guest blogging provide quality backlinks and author bylines.
Of course, there are challenges and pitfalls one must avoid. Even though content syndication and guest posting are bringing in new clientele and elevating yourself as a business, below are some of the common problems you could face when using these strategies without much thought:
- No Direct SEO Benefit: Many publishers allow a link back to your website, so page rankings will not be affected. People recommend this link is not a follow link. Be sure to carefully follow site and search engine guidelines to avoid penalties. Some third-party sites also restrict adding email opt-in widgets, so it does not guarantee you will expand your contacts and mailing lists even with more exposure.
- No Direct Selling or Self-Promotion: Whether you are engaged in content syndication or guest blogging, the objective is to share information, raise awareness, and cement yourself as an industry expert. There are limitations to self-promotion and may mainly be for knowledge sharing and information dissemination.
- Less Topical Control: Often, sites have priority topics making it difficult to venture out of these niche areas. With a different spectrum of clientele, while you may be tapping a broader market, miscalculations could mean you will get fewer returns than you expect.
The most important thing to remember when developing your online content strategy is to do careful research. You must know and understand whom you are collaborating with, including their requirements and their audience. You must also have a clear vision of who you are as a business and where you want to go. All partnerships must be strategic where you have good grasps of what these collaborations will mean for you.
Here are some guidelines that will help you ensure you are maximizing content syndication and guest blogging strategies:
- Do Not Rush: It is important to give ample time to building partnerships. Engaging with third parties that hinge on the quality of your output means you have to ensure that the content you submit is in good shape and done promptly. This increases the likelihood of continued collaboration and optimal content results.
- Provide Original and Engaging Content: While some websites only cater to specific topics, finding the right angle to the topic could reap wonders. This allows you to tap a completely new clientele that could expand and increase your market.
- Be Yourself: Speak about what you know in a way that is relevant to the audience. Avoid a “know-it-all” tone, approach the audience as equals, and open your topics for discussion. This displays what type of person and company you are – one that is relatable, approachable, and knowledgeable.
- Promote Your Partner: Get the word out. Post an excerpt from your syndicated content and promote your partnership and published content through your company’s social media channels. This enables you to increase your reputation within your network and shows your new partner that you value them.
The Content Marketing Institute (CMI) says content is one of the most effective ways to promote a business. Almost half of all marketers plan to use content to reach their customers. Most marketers believe that the benefits of content syndication and guest blogging can far outweigh the disadvantages when done the right way. There is great potential in the value they can add to your online presence and the reach of your network.
Casting a wide net with your content marketing while maintaining a consistent flow of quality leads is a challenge every modern marketer faces. Target and engage the right B2B buyers with DemandScience Syndication.